Oct 23 2012

Sparklehorse – Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain

Published by at 5:16 pm under Folk,MP3's

It’s that time of the year again. Leaves are falling. Days are getting shorter. And once again I find myself going back to the same handful of albums that I listen to during this annual transition. One of those albums is Sparklehorse’s 2006 release, Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain.

I never actively seek out this album during this time of year. It just kind of naturally happens. I guess that makes sense given that the first track on the album is titled, “Don’t Take My Sunshine Away.” The album has a unique, blend of indie rock, lo-fi, folk, and tamed electronic music that Danger Mouse contributed. The album evokes that strange feeling you experience when things are rapidly changing, but you still feel a sense of control. There’s a comfort in knowing that the change is meant to be uncomfortable.

Sparklehorse was the project of singer/songwriter, Mark Linkous, and this was his fourth and final album before he passed away in 2010. Linksous battled depression and drug addiction during the course of his life, which you’ll notice particularly on his other albums, and the cause of death was sadly suicide. The silver lining is that Linkous has joined a small group of musicians whose music will continue to be played with the changes of the seasons for years to come.

Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain (2006)

Sparklehorse – Don’t Take My Sunshine Away (mp3)

Sparklehorse – Shade And Honey (mp3)

Site | iTunes | Amazon | Spotify

10 responses so far

10 Responses to “Sparklehorse – Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain”

1. Johnon 29 Oct 2012 at 5:52 am

Such an amazing artist… ” It’s A Wonderful Life” is my all time favorite album to play when the cold rainy days are coming !

2. Davidon 29 Oct 2012 at 8:45 pm

Agreed. It’s A Wonderful Life is a fantastic album, as well!

3. Kilianon 29 Nov 2012 at 10:06 am

I’m happy to see you’re writing again, Indiemuse will always be one of my favorite blogs.

4. OLIVIAon 11 Jan 2013 at 8:19 pm

CHECK OUT AL BENNETT III MUSIC HIS A INDIE ARTIST THAT FREESTYLES TO HIPHOP DUBSTEP HORROCORE INSPIRATIONAL R&B SOUL AND DUBSTEP .. HE HAS ALOT OF DIFFERENT STYLES. U CAN LISTEN TO HIM HERE..>>>> https://www.reverbnation.com/ALBENNETTIII

5. Larry Hearton 14 Feb 2013 at 5:07 am

Well, Sparklehorse is a very cute, calm music, I think that it can be listened all over the year…
    Actually it’s one of my favorites and I’m getting back to it cooldown by cooldown =)

6. Shawnon 25 Mar 2013 at 10:14 pm

RIP Mark Linkous. Your music will live on forever!

7. tom ford eyeglasses menon 27 May 2013 at 7:45 pm

Hey there, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, superb blog!

8. Laraon 05 Jun 2013 at 12:24 am

R.I.P. Linkous!
    There has been some great new music being released lately but sometimes you just have to go back to some old favorites and Sparklehorse is definitely one of them

9. how to get rid of fruit flieson 12 Oct 2013 at 9:34 pm

Sarah Shore writes articles for Pest Control Group an online site dedicated to providing you with the
    very best available. Now, going back on
    how to kill grass weeds, different landscapers apply different strategies.
    Applying Turmeric paste over the pimples helps in curing it.

10. Large Ray Ban Wayfarer Sunglasseson 17 Mar 2015 at 5:15 am

South Korea is the fourth largest energy consumer among civilized world after the United States, japan,Ray Ban Sunglasses Matte Black, And malaysia. South Korean energy industry has reported remarkable growth in the past few decades,Clear Ray Bans, replies “South Korean Energy Sector study, a research report by RNCOS. lately, South Korea is almost entirely reliant on imports to meet its energy demand because of limited domestic energy resources. This is a really great destination. the accommodat

Trackback URI | Comments RSS