Apr 28 2009

Mamer – Eagle (2009)

Published by at 11:42 am under Experimental,Folk,MP3's,Video

mamer

While I don’t consider myself an active listener of “World” music, one of my new favorite musicians has made me realize that I really need to explore this genre more. His name is Mamer and he is from Xinjiang, China.

Mamer’s reinterprets ancient Kazak folk songs with a modernized alt-country aesthetic, using instruments such as an open-tuned acoustic guitar, dombra, sherter (plucked lute), Jew’s harp, and dabel drum. He searches for inspiration from the old and new, saying “I always stay awhile with the old people in the mountains, learning their songs and traditions. Without this a whole way of life will be lost to the young generation. I want to breathe new life into the poems and songs I grew up with.”

Some contributing musicians on his debut release, Eagle, include French composer Hector Zazou, a throat singer named Ilichi, Bela Fleck, and Mamer’s former band IZ. Fleck and Mamer play dual banjos on “Celebration,” and it’s pretty  amazing.

I can’t recommend this album enough. It’s soothing to the ears, original, and overall, just one of the most enjoyable albums I’ve listened to recently. Mamer sings in the Kazakh language, so there is absolutely no way one who doesn’t speak the Kazakh language will know what he is saying (unless you hire a costly translator, which I  strongly considered doing, but ultimately decided against).

Eagle (2009):

Mamer – Kargashai

Mamer – Celebration

Myspace | Amazon |iTunes| Real World Records (label & more bio info)

Eagle does not release in the UK until May 15th, but you can Pre-order from Real World Records (link above).

YouTube Preview Image

15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Mamer – Eagle (2009)”

1. Marion 09 May 2009 at 2:26 am

Dear Mamer,
    I enjoy your music, especially the irregularity in rhythm in a seemingly regular timeframe.
    Love Mari

2. Adamon 20 May 2009 at 11:01 am

Heard the interview on NPR yesterday.

Very excited to hear about your music.

Very much hope you will come to Chicago during your tour.

Namaste,
    Adam

3. Ronon 20 May 2009 at 6:29 pm

I heard your music on NPR last night. I enjoyed your music so very much, so refreshing to my soul. Thank you so very much

4. 米拉之落on 21 May 2009 at 9:43 am

3Q

5. Jody Son 01 Jun 2009 at 10:13 pm

I saw Mamer live in Montreal a few weeks ago, as part of the CBC’s taping of their Earth Day special. It was only a couple songs, as there were 9 artists on the bill, but he was amazing. If anyone gets the chance to see him, it’s worth your while.

6. toosinbeymenon 29 Jun 2009 at 1:59 am

I just discovered Mamer. I hope I didn’t miss his NY tour.

7. annaon 05 Mar 2011 at 10:47 am

Best thing i have heard in a long time. just saw them in concert in Hong Kong . very powerful, dark and raw, the folklore part being the background for inner turmoil.

8. Shop Burberry accessories,cheap sale on line, an innovative runway-inspired collection featuring shoes, bags, scarves, wallets, ties, belts, sunglasses and timepieces.

9. Coralieon 06 May 2016 at 8:50 pm

Heck of a job there, it abostulely helps me out.

10. car insuranceon 15 May 2016 at 8:30 pm

Vivamus vel mi lorem. Sed vitae felis nisl, at venenatis tortor. In at velit ac turpis aliquam volutpat. Ut et nibh augue. Integer imperdiet convallis massa nec gravida. Sed eleifend porta urna.

11. auto insuranceon 04 Jun 2016 at 7:15 pm

It’s a real pleasure to find someone who can think like that

12. auto insuranceon 05 Jun 2016 at 5:10 pm

Kami – AHHH! Seriously. So. Cute. I love the scrunchie face. I can’t bveleie those are from May. Where has time gone. Love, love, love to you and the family!

13. http://www.belmonttapingtools.com/on 07 Jul 2016 at 11:11 am

This insight’s just the way to kick life into this debate.

14. http://anysitelog.pw/tiscali.iton 24 Sep 2016 at 8:31 pm

on If I were the 1 having to write this content, all these readers would be disappointed. It’s a excellent thing that you are the writer and you bring fresh concepts to us all. This really is interesting.

15. http://www.hackcheatstool.us/on 26 Feb 2017 at 12:09 pm

Okay, and so i feel wanting to like eat much healthier come july 1st, starting today, and so I want to really know whatlike I can possess with regard to healthy and balanced foods.Such as breakfast, lunch, and also supper, of course, ifyou can give more than one dinner for each that could be AMAZING.Furthermore, any tips or perhaps anything would certainly awsome as well.And i also was choosing optimum solution!! Therefore please assist meto!!!Foodshighinfiber.net recently posted..

Trackback URI | Comments RSS